Monday, December 18, 2006

Hospitals, Soap, and A Rough Road...

           


 


Today I made my monthly trek to the Cleveland Clinic. Very busy hospital ..... So many sick people. Upon arrival, I usually head to the restroom. As soon as I step in, the smell of the antibacterial soap brings back memories of my lengthy stay there. Funny how a scent can bring back such vivid memories.

 

I was first diagnosed with leukemia in one of our local hospitals. I went from feeling just fine to feeling tired and weak, to feeling sicker than I have ever felt in my entire life - to the point where even standing up was a trial. So after some blood work and a painful bone marrow test, I am told I have leukemia. I wasn`t even sure what exactly leukemia was ( cancer of the blood ), but I knew it wasn`t good.

 

Not good at all.

 

When I was told I would have to be moved to the Cleveland Clinic for better treatment, I was scared. The only people I had ever known who were treated there were very sick people. I was told the condition was treatable, but that I would have a long and rough road ahead of me. I didn`t want a rough road. I wanted smooth pavement that I could travel along at my leisure.

 

So I was taken the hour - long ride by private ambulance, laying on a stretcher..... scared, in my pajamas, feeling very vulnerable and alone. There was an ambulance attendant who sat back there with me and I kid you not, he did not stop talking the entire time. He was one of those people who are just superb at what they do. He gave me no time to dwell on what was happening. Although I was teary - eyed, he just kept on talking about the weather....kids....school....work. Asking me questions about where I was from and so forth. I will never forget his kindness and the calming effect that he had on my nerves. I wish I could thank him.

 

Once I was admitted into my room, though, I was scared and crying. Fortunately at that time I did not know that I would have to endure a few more bone marrow tests and about eight sessions of chemotherapy being shot into my spine. Eventually a doctor came into my room and answered every single question that I had. I`m not sure who he was but I will never forget him either. He sat by my bed and chatted with me for a long time. I started to feel like I might be well one day.

 

I didn`t know that chemotherapy was given through an IV; that I could eat while having it done, or watch tv, or do a crossword puzzle or sleep.

 

Fast forward One Year and Nine Months Later to Today :

 

Today while having chemo administered I chose to just sit back in the recliner and listen to my iPod. I put the songs on shuffle, so each song was a surprise, as I had no idea what order they would follow. It was an odd assortment of artists and songs - Backstreet Boys, Queen, Bowie, Jack`s Mannequin, Johnny Cash, KISS, and Barry Manilow.

 

My bloodwork was very good.  :)

 

I now know everyone, it seems, when I walk into the cancer center. From the parking attendants, to the greeter dressed in a long - tailed red blazer and black top-hat ...... to the receptionist, the cleaning people, nurses and doctors. I am no longer sitting there in a wheelchair with a barf bucket, but strolling through happy and smiling ( with my own real hair on my head! ), hearing these dear people say, " You look great! " and " Merry Christmas! "

 

So, yeah, I`m no longer terrified of going there any more. I look forward to it because these people have become my friends and by the grace of God, they helped to make me well once again.

 

 

                 

Thanks to Donna for the adorable top tag and to Sugar for finding this lovely ornament for me!

Thanks, Chris, for the name tag from last year. Remember?

Thank you,  Sugar  and Sharon for sending me Christmas cards!

 

 

      

                 

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Such a heartfelt entry. Praise God that you are where you are today, from where you were then. {{{{ }}}}
God Bless,
Sugar

Anonymous said...

Penny, such an inspirational story and one that is so hard to believe now that you are on the last leg of treatment.  What you endured to get where you are today.  ROFL...oh my, the tag...that was probably one of my first or second tags that I ever made.  Humph...I didn't get the alert for this.  I'm wondering if they are acting up again.  Glad you are walking through the Cleveland Clinic with a big smile on you face now.  Love ya, Chris

Anonymous said...

A long raod travelled and all good in the process, penny can you e mail me with your e mail address so that I can send you the new link to my journal.
thanks, take care luv bella xx

Anonymous said...

You have come a long way in a year and nine months.  I do know how a smell can tigger a whole chunc of time in your memory...the teen chemo room was quite a place; recliners, comfy couches, tV, VCR and tons of movies.  The first time was scary, but once we got on a good schedule, it wasn't so bad.  Some days my daughter slept while hooked up to that IV pole, while I would read; sometimes we would be laughing and talking.  We watched a lot of movies together.  To this day, if I see one of the movies we watched during her chemo, that particular day in the infusion room would jump back to my thoughts.  The atmosphere made it easier to bear, that's for sure!  Jae  

Anonymous said...

I didn't get an alert for this entry. I just popped by to see how you are doing and found this wonderful entry.  You've come a long way baby!!    Amazing how a scent can bring back such powerful memories, isn't it?  
You are a strong lady, Penny.  I admire you so much.  You've been thru Hell and back.  I can't imagine going through what you did.
Hugs to you........Pam

Anonymous said...

I have that same attachment to the antiseptic smell, although fortunately my experience came thru two high risk pregnancies that ended in beautiful healthy children, not in something as scary as what you've been thru. My pulse quickens when I smell it... and if I ever go in a public restroom that has the same smell, the same thing happens.
Glad you're a survivor!
*hugs*
heather

Anonymous said...

Oh Penny it sounds like you really went through it. I'm SO glad you're now so much better. I hope you have a wonderful Christmas. Perhaps Santa will bring you a new handbag :)
Angie x