Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Tired Tuesday

           


Today has been sort of an "off " day for me and I`m not sure why. No particular reason. It was cold and dreary with a bit of rain.


I made the hour`s drive to the Cleveland Clinic. I feel like I could drive it with my eyes closed by now, I`ve made so many trips there! I received a good report. :)  My doctor says to me, in reference to this whole leukemia deal, " Penny, you have sailed through this. I know it doesn`t always seem like it, but trust me, you have!"


I suppose that`s true, compared to how bad it could have been. Some of the side effects are caused by the combination of meds and chemo, which lower the immune system considerably. When I was first hospitalized, no one could come and see me if they had a cold or were sick in any way. If a family member was sick, but had to visit me to bring me something, they had to wear a mask. Once I finally returned home, I couldn`t eat at a buffet or any place like that because of germs. I couldn`t eat fruit unless it was washed thoroughly with soap and water.


I`ve had enough antibiotics in me to last a lifetime! I was in the hospital over Christmas with pneumonia. In January I got shingles and what a nightmare that was! I had to be hospitalized again. For a short time, all the steroids I took made me diabetic and I had to learn to give myself shots to control it. ( That lasted maybe 2 months. ) Yet all in all, I have sailed through this. I`m not being facetious. I`m truly thankful that it wasn`t worse. Being relatively young and healthy to begin with also helped. And let`s not forget a ton of prayer!


So I guess what prompted me to bring all this up and talk about it is because tonight I am tired from another round of chemo and I am dreading all the meds I must consume this week. On the other hand, being an optimist at heart, I am happy to take them because they have kept me well.


There are times that I may not feel well and fear tries to creep in andtell me I am getting sick again. I suppose that`s a normal reaction, one that I do not dwell on.


So, today is just a mixture of all kinds of thoughts and emotions.


Tomorrow I start back to work. I`ve been on vacation since Oct 14th. A nice break. Part time is nice.


My daughter calls me the other night in tears. She spilled juice on her new Mac laptop and now it won`t turn on. We`re praying that after it dries out a few days it will work okay. I know other people who have done this without ruining their computers. Corey does her homework on it and has the software that`s made specifically for Macs. She was pretty upset and so was I.


I made an AIM page last night. Had fun doing it. It`s not much different from doing a journal. Here`s the link:


http://www.aimpages.com/penniepooh/profile.html


Okay, I`m off to watch dog the Bounty Hunter.


~Nite!


  


 

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

i think of you daily and am so glad you are doing so well.
XO lj

Anonymous said...

Keeping you in my prayers.
Sugar

Anonymous said...

Hi Penny. I'm so glad you are doing well.  You've had a rough year....that's for sure!  
Hope the computer dries out.  Sheesh!
Pam

Anonymous said...

have a good week:)

Deb

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

Penny, girl, you are on the last leg of that long journey.  It has to be wearing and long especially when you are so close to the end of all of it.  Many people I work with have spilled all kinds of things on their laptops, and they bounce back.  Becky has a Mac and has dropped it and done all sorts of things to it.  Keeping my fingers crossed for you two because I know it's brand new.

Now, why are you going and learning all this technology on me??? ROLF...you are getting too tricky.  And yay, I hear your music today.  Figure that one out.

Take care and keep warm.  Love you, Chris

Anonymous said...

I'm glad that things are looking up for you, you have been through a lot. I was so tired yesterday, maybe it was the weather.  Today the sun may peak out here, that is good news !  Nice you had a vacation, they are always good to have. 'On Ya' - ma

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

Great to hear you've sailed through the leukaemia. I've only started reading your journal recently, but know from the white-coat-end of things (look at me screenie) that it isn't always that "easy". It wasn't for you either. Good luck - keep going - keep smiling!

Anonymous said...

I made it Pen.  I didn't forget about you...I'm just lazy.  Love you and miss you.
katie jane

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to you Penny and God Bless that doctor of yours.  Just take his word for it, name it and claim it and kick that thing.  It can be done and you'll be proof that it can.  

Blessings to you,

Marlene - A Poets Point Of View
http://journals.aol.com/mkolasa101/PurelyPoetry

Anonymous said...

You have done very well with your illness and treatment.  You are right; it can be so bad for some people...you are truly strong as well as brave to have tackled this head-on with such a positive outlook.  Good for you!  Jae

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you're doing well Penny.  I love your positive attitude through all this.  I'm a BIG believer in prayer!  It works.
Hugs,
Dana
http://journals.aol.com/rainy35/RoadtoSuccess

Anonymous said...

h