Thursday, October 19, 2006

Cold & Rainy

     


It`s a cold and rainy night here in Ohio. Temps are at 46 degrees.


It`s hard for me to believe that it`s Friday already, that my vacation is almost over. I do have Monday off as well - and Tuesday.


On Tuesday I will be going to the Cleveland Clinic for one of my last remaining leukemia treatments. ( Only a few more to go! It`s been 19 months. ) I get bloodwork done from the port that is bulit into my chest. ( It`s not visible. ) Then I see my handsome doctors, then I have a small dose of chemo. Then I have a week`s worth of medicine >>> That`s what makes me feel blah. All the hospital stays and long hours of chemo are over, thank God.


When I was diagnosed and went into the hospital in March of 2005 I was absolutely terrified. I felt if I died, okay, I was ready. I know and love the Lord. So spiritually I wasn`t scared, but I sure didn`t want to go just yet! I wanted to live to see my daughter finish college, get married, have children...... These were my thoughts.


It was actually a relief to be in the hospital for the month that I was. I was too sick, too weak to do anything. I could barely stand. Food made me nauseous. I lost 25 pounds. My hair fell out. I had to give in and get my head shaved. You don`t have much vanity when you`re a patient on a cancer ward. That`s when my faith really took over, I think. I held onto my dignity through faith and prayer. The heartfelt prayers of so many lifted me up and I can honestly say, for the most part, I always felt hopeful.


I know I harped on this a few times in my old journal, but it`s so important. Donate blood if you can! It saves lives! If you have a loved one going through cancer, just be there for them. Finances are a concern, as are children, laundry, preparing food ( once the appetite comes back ), errands.... A card or a gift can so brighten the day of someone who`s laying in a hospital bed. Magazines, a special snack, new slippers. And don`t worry, it`s not catching. Hugs work wonders!


I am so thankful to be alive and well today.


Every day is a gift.


Okay, moving along......


( You thought this entry was finished, didn`t you?  No such luck! Ha. )


I want to thank everyone who was responsible for this nomination:



I am truly honored. There are so many great journals out there! No matter who you vote for, please just have fun with it. Read some new journals, make some new friends. Like any award contests, there are many who aren`t nominated that may be just as good. I love being part of J-Land.  :0)


Have a wonderful weekend, everyone!


Thanks, Chris - love the name tag!


16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stopped by to say congrats on your Vivi nomination...
It's so awesome... good luck!
hugs
d
http://journals.aol.com/nightmaremom/Thisandthatandhockey/

http://journals.aol.com/mydsdesigns/DsDesigns/

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! You express yourself
marvellously, and thus inspire others
to similarly express themselves. Your
"Cleveland Clinic," new to me, must be
the one in the dramatic TV commercials.
Hey, they oughtta contract you as an
actor in a commercial. You'd be great!
Tell 'em you'll do it, but want a SAG
Principal's contract; that way you'll get
residuals. Maybe forever. You don't have to pay
me an agent commission, ha ha ha ha ha....

God bless! Thank you!

Barry
(My Journal Link doesn't work; it's
been suggested AOL is trying to tell me
something! As if they could be so purposefull,
ha ha ha ha ha.)  

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

Congrats!
Sug

Anonymous said...

Good to hear you've come through the leukemia treatment well, so far. Good luck with continuing treatments.

http://journals.aol.co.uk/pharmolo/NorthernTrip

Anonymous said...

Well done x
bella xx
http://journals.aol.co.uk/lindapaterson177/IstartedofthislifewithnothingIst/

Anonymous said...

Just found you via the vivi's... *hugs* to you for surviving leukemia... strange isn't it, that when all you  have left is faith, somehow it's enough? I'll put you on alerts... want to keep following Penny's story...

*more hugs*
heather
http://journals.aol.com/hsauls/Tighteningthecorset

Anonymous said...

Hi Penny,
Congrats on your nomination!  Found ya thru the Vivi's.
Hugs,
Dana
http://journals.aol.com/rainy35/RoadToSuccess

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your nomination Penny!  And thanks for listing all the things one can do for a cancer patient.  They were right on.  

Krissy
http://journals.aol.com/fisherkristina/SometimesIThink

Anonymous said...

I'm glad your treatments are about over.  I know it has been tough on you, but the old cliche comes to mind . . ."when the going gets tough the tough get going".  That is you.  Have a nice weekend.

Phil

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your VIVI award nominations. Good luck on November 2nd!

Guido
http://journals.aol.co.uk/pharmolo/NorthernTrip

Anonymous said...

i wish you the best of luck with your nomination!
i will be thinking of you next week as you travel back to the clinic. You are such a strong survivor!
love,lj

Anonymous said...

It was finally sunny and nice cool day here in S. Illinois.     It is the first day in 5 days that I have not had to lay down because of my back being so painful.    I applied tar, yes tar to my 1985 Crown Victoria roof where the vinyl top had worn out and rusted holes into the metal.     This is the second application as the first did not stop the rain from soaking the head liner.     My back isn't tensing up like it had for the preceding days and I am able to sit at the computer much better.    I can only imagine the feeling you describe of going through Chemo.     I am glad that you are now feeling better despite the feeling you get from the medication.   It is great that you are working and doing things that you can feel a sense of accomplishment from, and enjoyment of your off time.     Congratulations on your VIVI nomination and I hope you get lots of votes.     I should be nominated for a category: "lest effort possible journal",  lol.    Hope you are having a good weekend.      mark
http://journals.aol.com/mtrib2/MarksDailyJournal
http://journals.aol.com/mtrib2/landscapeartwork  

Anonymous said...

Congratulations hun!! I am sure your excited!

Hugs,
Chelle

Anonymous said...

Penny, I'm so glad you got a nomination and that you are healthy and here to enjoy all of this.  I've had no luck in finding a leukemia awareness ribbon but haven't given up.  I will find one eventually.

The only nice day we had was yesterday.  Really lovely sun and near 70.  The rain and chill is back today again.  Snow tomorrow they are saying?  grrrr  Enjoy the rest of your time off as much as you can.  Feast your eyes on those cute doctors of yours.

Love you,
Chris