Sunday, February 11, 2007

Packaging

    


After work yesterday, I did absolutely nothing. I laid down in the late afternoon for a nap and pretty much slept on and off until this morning.


Tomorrow will be busy. I have to exchange a shirt that I bought at Walmart, pick up prescriptions for my mom, meet Janice at Olive Garden for lunch, then help her with some computer stuff. ( yeah, don`t laugh. )


Friday I got my hair trimmed. Since my leukemia, my hair has been growing back in for about 14 months now. It grew back curly and very thick. It really took about a year for it to get back to normal again. So it`s cut in layers and I`m letting it get longer.  Soon it will be to my shoulders. Yay! I bought some new shampoos and conditioners. I like the look of very straight hair, so I bought a flat iron.


                 


 


Which brings me to my next subject:


Packaging.


It`s bad enough that when I buy a CD, the artist most likely will have their next one released by the time I can get the current one unopened. The packaging for the flat iron was even worse. First I took scissors to cut through the plastic that it was encased in. No easy feat. I then proceed to try and ply the plastic apart. No go. More cutting. Tugging, cutting, pulling. Beads of sweat forming on forehead. Clock is ticking. (I`ve showered, moisturized, dressed, dried my hair.... Now all I want to do is run a straightener through it!)


Pull some more.


Cut some more. Voila`! The plastic packaging is partially opened. All I have to do is pull out the flat iron.


 If I can wedge it out amidst the cardboard that surrounds it.


Pulling on the cardboard now while trying not to cut myself on the jagged edge of plastic that I cut into.


A few more tugs.


Clock ticking.


The cardboard is removed. There may be hope of me using this flat iron yet! Now I`m yanking it out of the package ....


 cord is caught in more plastic and cardboard in the bottom. Yanking. Hands cut from jagged plastic edge. Nose running. Gritting teeth.


One last final tug in a heroic show of strength and:


The flat iron is OUT OF THE PACKAGE!!!!


Piece of cake. Kinda like having a baby.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

I HATE packaging, so could really relate to this entry. I can't count the times I've cut my fingers while trying to open something wrapped in plastic. They really need to come up with something different.
Barb- http://journals.aol.com/barbpinion/HEYLETSTALK

Anonymous said...

Penny you had me laughing all thru this and especially at the end!!!  You are funny!!
I agree with you on the CD's!  I don't get it.  Medicines are easier to open!  
Sounds like you have a good day planned tomorrow.  Have fun...and show us a pic of your hair!!
Hugs to you,
Pam

Anonymous said...

ROFL...you make me laugh, Penny!  I hate packaging with a vengeance.  I can just picture you tugging, pulling, twisting while the clock is ticking.  I'm frustrated with my hair cut because my hair is so thick and needs to be thinned quite a bit for me to get volume..lol..gotta have that volume up top or I get crazy.  Megan took my curling iron and left me her flat iron.  Sheesh, I should have sent you hers because my hair is already straight.  Hehe..are we ever satisfied?  OK...now I'm howling at you being Janice's computer geek but I must say you are getting pretty tricky there.  Enjoy your day tomorrow!  Love ya, Chris

Anonymous said...

LOL i know how you feel:) have a good week

Deb

Anonymous said...

Penny -
I wish I had a dime for every time I have cut myself on one of those %$#&^% plastic sealed packages!  Curling Irons are absolutely the worst!  The second worst are those that kids handheld games come in.. all the while, you son is saying,"is it open yet.. can you get it.. do you need help.. can you use a key...."

Anonymous said...

That plastic packaging is difficult to figure out where to cut to get it to open.   I use a mat knife and just keep cutting until it will open and then I have to be careful not to cut the product because it goes right up to it.    You do have to be careful not to cut yourself on those sharp edges though.    I am glad your hair has grown out for enough time that you can now have it cut the way you want.   Wishing you a good week ahead.    mark

Anonymous said...

What a laugh, your description was right on the nose.  We've all been through the packages it to be sure.  Funny how people with curly hair want straight hair and those like me with straight hair wish they had some curls.  Have a great day tomorrow!  'On Ya' - ma

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean about packaging!!!!
When I get ANYTHING, first thing I do is arm myself with a knife & scissors...you'd think I was getting into a street fight. LOL
Have a good week.
Sugar

Anonymous said...

LOL!  Your last line...hilarious!!!  I remember how excited my daughter got when her hair got to her shoulders, again!  She had pretty long hair before her cancer, and she said it felt like it took forever to get any length back.  I was just grateful she had forever to do it...Jae

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

Penny, I just saw an infomercial last week on tv advertising a little tool to help with those bleeping packages. If I see it again, I will let you know!

betsy

Anonymous said...

Hi Penny, I came by the way of Phil's journal, from your comment posted there. I am thrilled to see that your doing so much better after battling your own cancer. I am currently going through MM and a brain tumor.
I wish you a wonderful evening, take care and stay well, Hug's Riss