Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Dear John

Dear John, the letter read. And with those two words, a heart was broken and two lives changed forever....


So begins the new Nicholas Sparks book that I started reading yesterday. Yeah baby.


My birthday was nice, though relatively uneventful. I mostly ran errands and cleaned my car. Then I said hi to my friend, Cathie, online around 5:00 and we made a very spontaneous decision to go out to dinner. By 5:30 we were both at the restaurant. How fun! Who says we in the midwest can`t move fast?


Work was slow today. I spent a few hours in the drive up where I read some of the book mentioned above.


How can we face loss --- without giving up on love? Now, when he finally returns to North Carolina, John will discover that loving Savannah will force him to make the hardest decision of his life....


So goes the story.


I`m off to watch American Idol soon. Is it just me, or is it lacking this year? Last year seemed so - exciting, ya know?? I just can`t get into it so much this year and I look at these finalists and I`m not seeing a Chris Daughtry or a Taylor Hicks, a Clay or a Carrie. It`s still early, so maybe my view will change. But as Randy would say, "I`m just not feelin` it, dawg. "


An old friend called me last night. We went to school together and she moved away years ago, but we still keep in touch. Neither time nor distance has affected the depth of a friendship. We were on the phone for over two hours, with her doing most of the talking. She had a lot to tell me about her life, her family, things she is/was going through. Funny how you know people at such a young age, and then you follow through their lives - all the twists and turns that it takes. When I first met her in seventh grade, we were playing kickball and carefree. I don`t know where the time goes.


Her and I once went to a KISS concert and she painted her face like Ace. Wild times. Lots of parties. She moved to California and I moved to NY. She flew east for my wedding. I flew west for hers. Her daughter is my goddaughter. Parents die, friends get sick, I went through a divorce, life happens, and the friendship still thrives and a friend still calls to say, "Happy Birthday - I miss you!"


 

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you had a Happy Birthday !  Old friends are the best !  Just like the old saying 'Make new friends, but keep the old, one is silver and the other gold.  Enjoy your book - sounds like a good one !  'On Ya' - ma

Anonymous said...

i have never watched AI before this year and i think it is really addicting. What Nicholas Sparks book is that?
I am so glad you went out to dinner and then talked with another lifelong friends. Friends like that are a treasure to have. My brother was obsessed with KISS.
LOVE, lisa

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you had a very nice birthday, Penny.  It's always so nice to chat with old friends.  So where did you go to eat dinner on your birthday?

I'm finding AI very lacking.  Of course, it is early but I don't see the magentism at all.  Hope it picks up.

Love ya, Chris

Anonymous said...

Well Happy belated Birthday. Sorry I didn't realize it was here or I'd have sent a card. Nicholas Sparks writes the most AWESOME stories. doesn't he?
*American Idol? I agree with you. It doesn't compare to last years, though there IS some great talent here.
How wonderful that you still have friends in your life you grew up with. I've long since lost contact with mine. Miss them.
Hugs, love and prayers,
Barb- http://journals.aol.com/barbpinion/THERESTOFTHESTORY

Anonymous said...

have a good hump day:)

Deb

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you had a good Birthday.  I have a friend like you mentioned. They are the ones who have history with you. It's fun to talk to them.
Have a good night.
Pam

Anonymous said...

It's great to know that some friendships can surive no matter time or distance. It must make you feel good to have such a special friend for so many years. Good time's to remember and even more to be shared I hope.
I gotta get that book, I'm already hooked!!!
This is the first season I have watched American Idol from the very beginning so Im not sure if this is just how the first few weeks are but they definitely aren't as entertaining as Taylor and Chris. Looks like they loosened up a bit tonight though, Phil, Chris and Lakisha who was the last girl to perform last week are my favorites. I wish they would bring Taylor back lol  : )

~ Jenny

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

What i enjoy about idol is hearing them improve over the weeks, so perhaps this one will get better.
Jenny <><