Sunday, February 18, 2007

Congratulations To Andrew

 


One of my favorite songwriters/singers/pianists, as most of you know, is Andrew McMahon whose bands include Something Corporate and Jack`s Mannequin.


I`ve only seen him in concert once, but I have to say, it was amazing. And a lot of fun.



Two months after I was diagnosed with acute lymphocytic leukemia, word came to me that Andrew had also just been diagnosed with the same thing. He was in his early twenties and I was devastated to hear this news.



Ofcourse I would have been sad to hear this at any time, but laying there in my hospital bed, with a port in my chest, pumping new blood and platelets into my body; sick, tired, and weak, with no hair ..... well, it hit pretty close to home and I cried for him, knowing that he, too, would have to endure this.


In August of 2005 when his Jack`s Mannequin CD was debuted, Andrew was in a hospital in LA getting a bone marrow transplant. The very same day. Life sometimes shoots us a cruel, ironic twist of fate.


I said a lot of prayers for him.



I`m happy to say that he is back on tour again and recently got married.


I love happy endings.


Or in this case, a happy ending with a bright beginning!


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOO HOO for Andrew, WOO HOO for Penny.
PRAISE GOD, to Him goes the glory.
Sugar

Anonymous said...

Thank the good Lord for all his wonderful gifts !  'On Ya' - ma

Anonymous said...

yep gotta love those happy ending, never enough of them.
MISSY

Anonymous said...

Hmmm...I didn't get the alert for this one.  Becky and Megan are going to the concert soon.  Of course, Megan just thinks Andrew is so cute.  I was telling them at Christmas about your experience with leukemia and that Andrew was diagnosed around the same time.  I also love happy endings.  Love ya, Chris

Anonymous said...

Wow he's very blessed.  Good for him!
Pam

Anonymous said...

Great news!  How nice of you to say a prayer for someone while you were so sick, yourself...Jae

Anonymous said...

i dont remember ever hearing this man's name.....or the band name. I am so glad he has recovered too.
XO lj

Anonymous said...

I remember you did an entry about him and that's how I learned of his story and the band. It's nice to hear of happy endings and a bright future ahead.

~ Jenny