Wednesday, November 1, 2006

Sniffling Sneezing

  


I was out doing errands today, driving in my car, when this street in the picture above caught my eye. So I stopped to take a picture. I love the way the branch on the left swoops over, making sort of an interesting arch. I am definitely feeling more comfortable with my camera, too. I may have actually gotten the settings right on this one.


Today I took my new Toyota Yaris in for its first oil change. ( So many miles already? ) And then it got washed as part of the service. Lookin` good and I was happy.


Since my cold hasn`t cleared up - (has gotten worse, in fact) I decided to drop in to see a doctor. It`s just what I knew it was - an upper respiratory infection, which I got an antibiotic for. I also had to pick up more meds for my leukemia treatment. I`m looking forward to the day when I can stop taking these meds. By springtime my treatment will be done.


I stopped by the library and picked up books by Anita Shreve, Jodi Picoult, and John Steinbeck. The Steinbeck novel is The Moon Is Down, which was written in 1942 during the Nazi era in Europe. Evidently this book became a very popular piece of Allied propaganda and if you were found to have a copy of the book on you in Italy, you were punished by death! This is true and I had no idea. Lately I have gotten interested in the history of wars and Presidents. I have been reading about WWI and WWII. No particular reason, other than I love to learn.


Today at Walmart ( ah...you knew I would stop by there!) I bought a sewing machine. LOL, Well, it`s not a real sewing machine. It was $12.93 and is battery operated. It`s pink! Big selling point. All I really need is to be able to run a hem to make pillows and whatnot.


So I`m off to rest and read.


Ta Ta.


  

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

Lovely picture you took!  Did you take a walk down that path?
Hope you feel better soon...and I can't wait to see your pillow creations with your new little pink sewing machine!
Pam

Anonymous said...

i love Anita Shreve books but they always make me hurt and cry at the end!! How awful that someone could lose their life over reading a book! I hope very much that you feel better soon. I love your pic!
love,lisa

Anonymous said...

Lord hope we never have to worry about the books we own n our homes here!  Hope you get to feeling better!  Hugs,TerryAnn

Anonymous said...

Those trees look inviting,
as if saying, 'Come along I give
you shelter still; in summer I'll
be even better.'

The only WW2 non-fiction book I've
ever read is titled
   THE LAST100 DAYS
             BY
      John Toland

I couldn't put it down, but of course
there are other good, very good books.
Oh, I read The Bunker too: Hitler's
last hole. I learned for example that it
was the Russians (the first into Berlin
'cause that's how Eisenhower wanted it)
who started the story that Hitler had only
one ball. It was a play on an old Russian
joke about a man losing one of his balls
to a goat, ha ha ha. I also read a book
about the seige of Leningrad. A million died of
starvation. Shostakovich was ordered to
allow himself to be evacuated. My
God just remembering makes me want to replay
his "Leningrad Symphony"!!! Mighty stirring.
It's an hour and twenty minutes long!
When I heard it in NYC on the radio, at conclusion
the announcer said, "Nothing puny about
that work!"

My favorite WW2 movie is Zanuch's 1947
airforce movie about daylight precision
bombing of Germany. It breaks your heart.
Hundreds of thousands of our men died in
those raids. More than one thousand allied
planes flew missions on one raid, one of
many raids, many of which the movie implies
were virtual suicide missions.

Might distract you, as well as uplift you, that
so many died for us. I don't seem able to fully
get it out of my head.

Get well!!

Barry

Anonymous said...

I love that picture...hope you feel better...Jae

Anonymous said...

That is a beautiful picture.  We had sun early in the day but it clouded up by evening...rain snow mix for tomorrow they say !  Hope you are better soon.  Colds are miserable.  'On Ya' - ma

Anonymous said...

Wow, that is a GORGEOUS photo, Penny. As a transplanted Yankee living in Florida for nearly 25 years, I soooooo miss scenery like that!! So thanks for sharing and feel free to take more! ;)

Hope you feel better soon,
Carol

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

no way did you take that picture! its so pretty, heck if i was to find a spot so beautiful i'd just stop and sit and stare and think!

Sorry to hear you're feeling so poorly, i'm sure you cant wait to get off the medication. it just messes with your body. i hope that soon you wont have to take any more!

Hugs and Love,
Shermeen xx
http://journals.aol.co.uk/shermeen0621/PublicThoughts/

Ps, i've been known to buy &or lust after things simply because they're pink. can't help it.

Anonymous said...

Loved the pic!
bella xx

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

ROFL...ah hah, I solved the mystery.  Somehow I didn't get the alert for this entry.  Love the shot, Penny.  You are getting to be an expert with the camera.  Hope you are feeling better.

LOL...now i get it...tickled pink and your pink sewing machine.  Hey, yo go, girl.  It works and that pillow looks great.  Love ya, Chris