Monday, September 11, 2006

In Memory...

          


In July of 2001 I left New York, which had been my home for about fifteen years, and moved back to Ohio.


I was settling in as best I could - my daughter and I - after the move and with divorce proceedings soon to start.


I got a job and that was where I was, at work, on the morning of September 11, 2001 when I heard the news.


At first a customer had come into the bank and said that one of the Twin Towers in NY had been hit by a plane.


What??     


More news started to dribble in - mostly by word of mouth, and then, later, with an old TV that we tried to hook up at the workplace and get some kind of signal on.


Apparently not just one tower was hit, but two.


And it was done intentionally.


How could this be?   


I tried calling some of my friends and relatives in NY. I had trouble getting through. My husband ran to turn on the TV when I called him. He was right there on Long Island, yet had not heard the news yet.


I called my sister - in - law who lives just outside of NYC. She was crying and saying it was crazy and that her daughter, my niece, was stuck in the City and had no way to get out, that it was chaos. I did not personally know anyone in the WTC at the time of the disaster. Thank God. My relatives were okay and my niece did get home.


What could possibly make people hate other human beings so desperately that they would deliberately not only kill them in such a horrific way but also take their own lives in the process?


It was unfathomable.


So today, on this very sad day for our country, I pray for the families and loved ones of those who lost their lives - not only in NY, but also those involved in the plane crash in Shanksville, PA and in Washington. I pray that our country remains strong.


                                             


Dear Lord Jesus,  please keep us safe. I ask that you would put a hedge of protection around us. Comfort those who are hurting. Amen.


 

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahhhhhh...wait, I have to wipe my eyes.....again..:-(
Thank you so much for this post.....Each time we remember 9-11...we give honor to those that died....this was so well written and I also pray with you...
love ya,
carlene

Anonymous said...

Penny, I didn't realize you were still living in NYC so close to that time.  The horror must have really struck home.  I was also at work.  We were in the training room getting ready to watch a video.  The news was on.  We watched the whole thing unfold in horror.  What was really eerie was the third plane that had left Cleveland flew very low over our building.  We were terrified but didn't realize what it was at the time. It was the plane that crashed in Shanksville, 50 miles away.  That is one day I can never, ever forget.  Such a horrific act that took an unbelievable number of lives.  Love you, Chris

Anonymous said...

TY for sharing your memories about that day.
God Bless those families left behind, & those that survived the nightmare.
Sugar

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the thoughts and recollections of that day.  It was a day that the country stood still and the world mourned with us.  Take care and have a nice week.

Phil

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

The memory is still hard.  I know you and your family were in shock too.  The prayer was perfect.  I agree with you in it.  
Tight hugs,
Nelishia
http://journals.aol.com/nelishianatl/WISHINGANDHOPING/

Anonymous said...

Well done on such a beautiful entry.

*HUGS*

Lv Stevie
xxx

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

Everyone has such vivid memories of that day.  I do too I guess.  I like your entry. : )  Hugs and GBU, Shelly

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for sharing with me! AMEN!!!!

Hugs,
Chelle

Anonymous said...

I don't think anyone will forget where we were that day.
Pam

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing the prayer with us.  Amen.  David

Anonymous said...

h