Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Soggy Weather, Some Sobering Thoughts


It is currently 27 degrees in Ohio and raining with a chance of snow flurries. I have been on the road for the past two days and the rain never stopped. The sky was a mirky gray, even in the early part of the day and the highway visibility was horrible with all the wet mist.


Anyhow, my daughter is back at college, so I am once again back to my normal schedule.


Yesterday I had my monthly leukemia treatment at the Cleveland Clinic. I know I speak of this often, but it`s just been such a major part of my life for the past two years. Meds and chemo, and being tired....it`s just become part of my life. Thankfully, I only have to go once a month now and I have often said this is a piece of cake compared to what I went through to get to this point. However, yesterday was a sobering day for me in a couple of aspects. Firstly, my doctor told me that he has 2 other leukemia patients whose illness has returned. I was very sad to hear that.(They have a different type than me. ) You just hope and pray that after all this extensive treatment that you will stay in remission. Forever! On second thought, I won`t even go into the other reason. It`s another much more disturbing story that I heard about treatment being administered wrong and ended up being fatal to the patient.


On the bright side, ( which I always try to stay on whenever possible ) my doctor gave me a good report. I was happy about that. I told him I was tired so often and he basically said it`s because they are kicking my butt with treatment!! I`m not complaining. It`s gotten me well!!


Oddly enough, I am wide awake this morning. I`m never wide awake in the morning. I have never been a morning person. For the next five days I will be on steroids and it`s difficult to sleep. When I do sleep, I am bombarded by the strangest dreams ever! One of the hardest parts of this whole ordeal are the huge doses of steroids.


WELL..... enough about that. Thanks for standing by me through all this. I would appreciate your continued support and prayers. Thank you.


Anyone out there getting hit with all this snow I keep hearing about on the news?


I am hopefully going to New York in a couple months. I would really like to be able to swing it. It would be nice to get away for a few days! Do you think I should pack an extra suitcase to bring home goodies in? Lotsa purses to buy in the Big Apple! <wink wink>


Have a wonderful day, my friends.


God bless.



Thanks, Angela for this sweet tag.   :)

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Penny.  I always keep you in my prayers that you stay well, my friend.  You are such a sweetheart and I wish you only the best.  Keeping a positive attitude is half the battle.  
We're getting snow in the mountains, but nothing here.  We never get snow here.  But, it IS unusually cold. 30's at night and only 50's in the day.  Cold for So Calif.
Have a good day Penny.
Pam

Anonymous said...

i have a story for you. Meg and i are standing in the lobby at church 2 days ago. Meg, 18, says to me "There is Vera Bradley" to which i say "who is Vera Bradley?".

I am so out of the loop that i had to be told about the most popular purse in America by my kid. Meg HATES them...says they are too cliquish and everyone has one and Meg loves to be different. She said many suburban, upper middle class ladies have them. Well, no wonder i had never heard of them. I did like the ones i saw so Meg stood there and counted how many Vera's she saw. Do you own one?
Maybe you can write down your dreams while you take the steroids and then you could remember them. I hope you DO get to go to NY.   This weather is enough to make us all feel gloomy.
LOve, lisa

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

It's 2 degrees right now, with ice everywhere!
Have a good day, stay dry & safe.
Hugs, Sug

Anonymous said...

You have been through so much and yes, it will be good to have it done.  One of the most important parts of recovery is attitude and I think you have a great one.  'On the Bright Side' is my motto for living.  I put a picture of my January purse on my journal today !  Your New York trip sounds like lots of fun.  Something to look forward too !  I'm a little west of Cleveland and we are having snow this morning.  Big fluffly flakes coming down right now.  Take good care - hope you can get some rest.  'On Ya' - ma

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

Its great to hear that the Dr gave you a good report Penny. I hope that you continue to get better and better, you are such a sweet lady.
I too am going to New York but not until the summer, gotta save hard to pay for it. I'm definitely planning on buying some bags, or purses as you guys call them. I think you'll need that extra suitcase!
Angie
x

Anonymous said...

"Oddly enough, I am wide awake this morning. I`m never wide awake in the morning. I have never been a morning person. For the next five days I will be on steroids and it`s difficult to sleep. When I do sleep, I am bombarded by the strangest dreams ever! One of the hardest parts of this whole ordeal are the huge doses of steroids."  - Penny

Shold be a tonic to 'Get out ot town' for a spell.
In the meantime prayers, right? Lately I've been getting in
in the mood for prayer by listening to Bible chat
on the radio. Their palaver kinda turns me off, but the
obvious depth of Faith is inspirational. Enjoy NY. Plan
to visit the Letterman show? Free, I think. I watched Jack
Paar, which ages me, eh! in the very same studio. The group conviviality might give you a big lift. Dave's staff audience warmup
must be a hoot! By the time Dave walks onstage the audience
is hot!  You're doing great! Congrats!!

Barry
http://journals.aol.com/bbartle3/Vengeance/

Anonymous said...

Air tran has a sale right now and I was able to plan a trip from ATL to NYC for $148 roundtrip, including taxes... now if I can just get the bf to agree to let me go and watch my kids for me... my brother lives there so I always have a fabulous place to stay, two blocks from Times Square. Getting there is the hard part. And getting off work.
Glad you're at the light at the end of the tunnel with your treatments. I can't even imagine what that must have been like for you. Hope you have continued good health!
*hugs*
heather

Anonymous said...

Penny, it must be so sobering to hear of the others and bittersweet.  You are nearing the end of your treatment and the steroids.  Thank the Lord for your continued good reports.  I know it will be wonderful not to have to take them anymore and not to have to travel to Cleveland but I'm sure now it's almost a way of life in a weird sort of way. I pray everyday that you are able to continue to spread your blessings to Jland and remain healthy and happy.

We had so much rain, and such hard rain.  Driving must have been awful.  Now, it's cold and snowy.  Just normal January weather for once.  Take care of yourself, and boy do I hope you get to take that trip to NYC!  Love ya, Chris

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

without a doubt bring an empty suitcase to bring things home in. lots of shopping in the big apple, i'm jealous!

So glad to hear that your treatment is going well, it must be the biggest roller coaster ride of your life. but i'm glad you've been getting some good news from your dr.

Sorry your daughter has gone back to college, i'm sure the place will be quiet without her.

Shermeen xx

Anonymous said...

Stay positive penny fingers crossed for lot`s of good luck to come your way!
luv bella xx

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

I like your rainy graphic of a 1950's street as I can see one car in that year model.     I am very glad your medical report shows you are doing so well.    The has not been one snow where I live in S. Illinois though there has been some in every direction around.    mark