Sunday, March 25, 2007

Art Museum

  


I never pass up an opportunity to visit an art museum, especially since it means that I will most likely get to see a Van Gogh. On Friday I went to the Indianapolis Museum of Art and the highlight for me was seeing this painting. I`ve learned that seeing a picture of a painting is nothing until you can see the original for yourself. I am mesmerized by his work - the brush strokes and colors and the way he painted so thickly.


This particular painting, Landscape at St Remy, was done in the late 1800`s after Van Gogh suffered a nervous breakdown in an insane asylum in the south of France.


Next to this were two or three paintings by Gauguin. Van Gogh was friends with Paul Gauguin. They even lived together for a short time until they got into a heated argument which lead to Van Gogh slicing off a part of his own ear.


I found it fascinating to see these original pieces of work side by side from the late nineteenth century and to know the story and the emotions that took place around the time of their creation.


 


      


Anyhow, our trip was great. I felt wonderful. I spent too much money.


Happy spring!!



thanks, Jenny


 


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL...what's a trip without spending money.  The artwork is fascinating.  Becky is planning a trip to the museum with her friends for her birthday this Saturday.  I'm planning on going and being introduced to the world of art.  Glad you had a good time.  The weather is lovely today.  I'm even seeing buds and some green...whoo hoo!  Love ya, Chris

Anonymous said...

I also love Van Gogh and we have several reproductions in our bedroom but you are right...  nothing beats an original. Art appreciation didn't really come to me until I was older but there are so many layers of creativity, individuality, history and longevity in paintings like Van Gogh originals... Glad you got to see them!
*hugs*
heather

Anonymous said...

It's funny how the art takes on a whole different meaning when you know what the artist was going through at the time.  I'm glad that you got to go and see these wonderful works.

Greg

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

I love museums, and Van Gogh!  Beautiful painting.
Glad you had a good time.
Pam

Anonymous said...

i like Van Gogh also. Interesting story you told about both painters. I am glad you were able to go to a museum!
love,lisa jo

Anonymous said...

Don't think I've seen that particular
Van Gogh landscape: gorgeous. Of
course it's reflective of art history,
what had been done before in painting,
and is more than the work of a lone
genius inventing everythng. For example
in an art history course years ago it was
pointed out that Van Gogh, following Rembrandt,
used the wrong end of the brush as well as
other objects such as his finger or thumb
nail; also, he was not averse using blobs
of paint. Still, his paintings are so strong, and
fetch so many millions on the most rare times
one of his works becomes available, there
is a mystery surrounding him and his works.
The good citizens of Indianapolis no doubt
value this painting for it's spiritual content.
The painting elevates work and solitude,
in one reading anyway, as being with God.

Thanks for sharing the painting.

Barry
http://journals.aol.com/bbartle3/Vengeance/






Anonymous said...

h