Monday, March 19, 2007

Accidents

  


It`s been a busy time for me. My daughter is home for spring break. It`s funny because just before it started we had some unusual temperatures here in Ohio - high 70`s in March!


Corey:  So, should I bring my winter coat home? I don`t want to.


Oh Wise Mother (me):  Yes, you better. You might still need it.


Corey:  Sighs ......    Okay.


Today we had rain and snow mixed with balls of ice.


Corey:  I don`t understand Ohio weather!


 


So this morning as I was leaving the house there was a light drizzle. I wasn`t ten minutes away from my house when balls of ice begin pelting my car. I had to pick up Corey from a friend`s house about 40 minutes from here, so I kept going, driving very carefully.


Imagine my horror as I look in my rear view mirror as I am driving along the interstate and see a Jeep or SUV of some sort spinning and therefor heading in the wrong direction! Then it slides sideways and hits a semi truck that was cruising along at a pretty good speed. Then the SUV starts spinning out of control in the middle of the busy interstate. I sped up so it wouldn`t hit me, as this is literally happening right behind me. I`m not sure if anyone else got hit or not. I kept going, as the roads were ice and there was lots of traffic, but within seconds I called 911 and reported the accident and the location. ( It`s still happening behind me at this point but I was safely ahead of it all. ) I know the semi truck pulled over and as far as I know the SUV never flipped over. Man, was I rattled and praying everyone made it okay. If I hear anything on the news I will give you all an update.


About fifteen minutes later, as I`m approaching my exit ramp, traffic begins to creep along and I see flashing lights up ahead. ANOTHER accident and a car is flipped over on the side of the road! Upside down. I didn`t see anyone inside. There were people walking around near it, so I hope and pray everyone made it out okay. I was really shaken and you better believe I took a different route back home.


Please be safe!


 


Love you guys. Be safe and well.


  


Thanks, Angel!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Penny, sheesh, so glad you are safe and sound.  Ice is absolutely the worst thing in the world to drive on.  It was just supposed to rain here today but never quite got above freezing.  Hope no one was seriously injured in that mess.  That kind of things has me knees shaking after the fact.  

LOL, though, at Ohio weather...the same as Pa. weather.  Rarely do we ever have much of a spring.  Take care and enjoy your time with Corey.  Love ya, Chris

Anonymous said...

We had that same kind of weather here, but I don't think the roads got bad.The really messy stuff didn't start til after I was at work and By the time I went out at lunch it was just wet.  My front porch steps were a sheet of ice though when I got home from work.  I bet the mail man didn't appreciate delivering my mail today.  I did put down some Ice melt so it should be ok by now.
I'm thankful you made it safe through those accidents.  'On Ya' - ma

Anonymous said...

glad you are ok:) have a good week

Deb

Anonymous said...

So glad you were ahead of that!  How scary!  We are all having such strangel weather.  Thank goodness she brought her coat!  LOL!  Jae

Anonymous said...

sakes alive I am glad that you weren't involved in any of those wrecks, stay safe,
MISSY

Anonymous said...

Nothing quite like ice to mess up a perfectly good road.  Glad you made it safely.

Greg

Anonymous said...

I know you must have been scared to death and had your heart beating a mile a minute. I am glad you are safe!!!! I hope our Ohio weather is going to be calmer now since Spring is here. I missed your entries...glad you posted.
love,lisa

Anonymous said...

OMG your drive sounds so horrendous!!  I'd have been an absolute nervous wreck!!  Glad you made it home safely.  Your welcome for the graphic.  You can snag anything I have if you like it.
Stay safe...
Pam

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

See also: http://www.ng2000.com/fw.php?tp=accidents